Medical Travel for Escorts
A doctor or nurse may recommend to have someone go with you on medical travel. Escorts will be approved by the regional office.
Escorts will be approved for the following reasons:
- You need the legal consent of your parent or guardian.
- You have a mental or physical condition that makes you unable to travel alone.
- You are a unilingual Inuit language speaking Client travelling to an Approved Centre where interpretive services are not available.
- You need an escort to take medical instructions for home medical or nursing procedures.
- You are a unilingual Inuit language speaking Client aged 65 or older.
If you are an escort, the costs of your medical travel will be paid for by up to three different government insurance plans:
- Nunavut Health Care Plan
- Non Insured Health Benefits (NIHB)
- Extended Health Benefits (EHB)
Nunavut Health Care Plan
Non Insured Health Benefits
If the patient you are escorting is eligible for NIHB, you will get medical travel benefits through the NIHB program.
Extended Health Benefits
If the patient you are escorting is eligible for EHB, you will get limited medical travel assistance through the Extended Health Benefits program.