You are here
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
IQALUIT, NU – Ref. No. QEC-17-013
If your strengths as an Electrical Engineer include all functions of project management and control, and you can liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders to deliver on-time results, we should talk.
Reporting to the Manager of Electrical Engineering, you will provide technical and electrical system design services throughout the project cycle – from conceptual design through to commissioning – while ensuring alignment with industry and corporate standards, policies and procedures. This is a great opportunity to demonstrate your creativity and ability to balance priorities and resources, address major design issues and new engineering problems, and modify project designs in response to specific field conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Preparing assessment studies and providing detailed design and project costing for electrical system upgrades and construction of new facilities;
- Preparing tender specifications, tender documents, drawings and cost estimates for in-house projects;
- Performing on-site inspections during construction projects;
- Liaising with consulting engineers and contractors in planning construction projects;
- Preparing cost analyses and working with the Project Accountant to ensure projects are on budget and on schedule;
- Coordinating with Purchasing to ensure material resources are in place for project launch;
- Providing on-site solutions when re-design or modifications are required;
- Interacting with QEC customers for service connection requests;
- Developing corporate technical standards; and
- Ensuring the technical quality of work performed by Engineers-in-Training.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering with 5 to 7 years of related experience, including medium voltage, bulk power distribution/transmission and power plant electrical equipment design/operation as well as designing and costing projects;
- Active membership in NAPEG as a registered Professional Engineer or ability/eligibility to register;
- PMP designation, preferred;
- Knowledge of Power System Analysis Software ETAP, SCADA, RTU, and PLC;
- Knowledge of the preparation and review of control schematics, setting of protective relay settings, Single Line Diagrams-metering & protection, equipment layouts, and Diesel Power Plants;
- Extensive experience in full scope project management;
- Background in diesel generated power or technology;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture (an asset); and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French (an asset).
We offer a starting salary of $100,425 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must provide a cover letter providing a brief overview of their direct experience in full-scope project management, diesel power generation and electrical design. Canadian educational equivalencies and work experience must be clearly stated in your application.
Apply in writing, by June 30th, 2017, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.