You are here
MANAGER – ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
MANAGER – ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING SECTION
IQALUIT, NU – Ref. No. QEC-17-012
If you are an Electrical Engineer recognized as a superb leader of people and projects, able to manage a high volume of work with multiple demands and competing priorities, this leadership opportunity is for you.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, and supervising a team of electrical engineers and technologists, you will be accountable for project management, project budgets, the development and implementation of electrical standards, and the ongoing effective and efficient operation and administration of the Electrical Engineering Section.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Performing technical reviews and providing quality assurance regarding applicable codes, standards and design accuracy, on electrical designs, specifications, quantity and cost estimates, tenders and contracts prepared in-house, by specialists or by engineering consultants;
- Initiating, developing, implementing and maintaining corporate electrical engineering standards for the safe, reliable operation of diesel generating stations and electrical distribution systems;
- Contributing to the preparation of the Corporation’s annual, five-year and 10-year capital plans;
- Managing staff involved in the electrical design, construction and commissioning of capital projects and maintenance work for diesel generating plants, alternative energy systems, and substation and electrical distribution systems, to deliver a high-quality product on schedule and within budget;
- Preparing and administering the annual operations and maintenance budget for the Section;
- Maintaining a high level of technical expertise within the Section via such means as exchanges of information and expertise with other utilities, suppliers, consultants and contractors;
- Ensuring overall integrity, design feasibility, and completion of engineering designs, project management, and commissioning of new projects; and
- Working closely with Operations to adapt common approaches and develop best practices.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with NAPEG and/or eligibility for immediate membership;
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering;
- 7 to 10 years’ senior-level electrical design, construction and project engineering/management experience, including at least 3 years directly related to diesel power generation and distribution system with a regulated utility, and 2 years supervising professional staff;
- Extensive experience in full scope project management – from preparing business cases and submitting proposals to prioritizing activities to meet scheduled work plans;
- Knowledge of the preparation and review of control schematics, setting of protective relay settings, Single Line Diagrams-metering & protection, equipment layouts, and Diesel Power Plants;
- Knowledge of Power System Analysis Software ETAP, SCADA, RTU, and PLC;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture (an asset); and
- The ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French (an asset).
We offer a starting salary of $114,777 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must provide a cover letter providing a brief overview of their direct experience in full-scope project management, diesel power generation and electrical design. Canadian educational equivalencies and work experience must be clearly stated in your application.
Apply in writing, by June 30th, 2017, to: email@example.com
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.