You are here
Manager, Information Technology
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
Manager, Information Technology
BAKER LAKE, NU – Ref. No. QEC-17-024
This multidisciplinary role is an excellent career opportunity for an Information Technology (IT) leader with experience in a variety of areas, a professional who keeps up-to-date with the latest technologies, is adept at managing people, projects and resources, and thrives in an environment with time-sensitive deliverables.
Reporting to the Director, IT, you will oversee the day-to-day operation of the IT Department, which will include managing employees, their deliverables and multiple IT projects, the corporate IT infrastructure and the internal IT knowledgebase.
This position will involve travel to Iqaluit to meet with employees under your supervision, and to other communities to cover the duties of IT employees on leave. You must also be prepared to work outside regular business hours to handle hardware/software upgrades and other deadline-driven situations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Keeping detailed records and networks maps of all network infrastructure;
- Developing requirements and schedules for Corporate IT projects;
- Managing the delivery of the IT budget by obtaining competitive prices from suppliers, where appropriate, to ensure cost effectiveness;
- Managing the maintenance, upgrades and security of the complete Corporate communications infrastructure (including telephone systems and wide, local and metropolitan area networks) and all IT systems and services (including Internet, Intranet, website, Help Desk, e-mail, file and print, security and monitoring);
- Planning and implementing additions, deletions and major modifications to the supporting infrastructure as directed by the Director, IT;
- Overseeing the management of the Microsoft Great Plains financial system, and the development of Corporate applications;
- Overseeing troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving and disaster recovery, and providing expert support when necessary;
- Managing IT support, ensuring that users receive appropriate support and advice in a timely manner, support requests are recorded into the IT Help Desk, and end-user documentation is up-to-date;
- Continually striving to increase IT support efficiency by analyzing support requests, identifying problem areas and developing training programs or materials to further educate employees;
- Directing, assigning and reviewing the work of IT Department staff, ensuring team members are working to their full potential and adhering to standard QEC IT policies and procedures;
- Mentoring and training new IT staff;
- Providing ongoing coaching and mentoring, performing annual employee evaluations, setting new goals, recognizing achievements, and establishing developmental improvement plans; and
- Managing material resources, from building and maintaining vendor relationships to managing the purchase of hardware, software and other IT supplies, as well as project design and management.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- A post-secondary education and training in the Information Technology or Computer Science field equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Over 5 years of related IT Management experience;
- Prior work experience in the following areas to complete job assignments independently: network design and administration, relational database design - deployment and maintenance, computer and network programming, application design - deployment and maintenance, computer hardware/software technical support, project management and performance management;
- Experience supervising and directing the work of staff;
- Expertise in network design, implementation and troubleshooting in a heterogeneous environment, utilizing a mix of satellite, fiber optic and Ethernet connectivity;
- Expert-level knowledge of networking fundamentals (including subnets, routing, virtual private networks and security) and networking hardware (including routers, firewalls, bridges, switches, access points and Cisco equipment);
- Solid understanding of virtualization design and implementation utilizing VMware Workstation/Server/ESX/ESXi;
- Experience with enterprise directory services, including Microsoft Active Directory;
- Experience with the application development process in a Microsoft .NET environment utilizing Microsoft SQL Server relational database; and
- Experience with the Microsoft Great Plains financial software package.
We offer a competitive salary range of $107,347 to $138,626 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $24,381 per annum. This position is excluded from the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing, by September 1st, 2017, to: email@example.com
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.