You are here

Where can I get a general identification card?

You must be a resident of Nunavut in order to be issued a General Identification Card.

You can apply for a General Identification Card at a Motor Vehicles Division issuing office in the following communities:

Rankin Inlet
Cambridge Bay
Gjoa Haven

You can reach these offices by dialing the toll-free number 1-888-975-5999. In all other communities, you can apply for a General Identification Card at the local Municipal Liaison Office (MLO) or Government Liaison Office (GLO).

Please see our listing of Motor Vehicles Division issuing offices and GLO locations.

Issuance, renewal or duplicate of a lost/stolen General Identification Card is free of charge.


Two pieces of government-issued identification are required, and at least must one show your date of birth.

A General Identification Card is valid for a 5-year term.