You are here

Infrastructure Funding Program


Call for Funding Proposals:

The Department of Education’s Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Division is now accepting funding proposals to increase the availability of child care in Nunavut for children ages 0-6. The goal is to create new licensed child care spaces and reopen licensed child care centres that have been closed for at least three years.

This program uses federal funding administered by the Government of Nunavut. Funding amounts will vary based on the proposal and will be determined on a case-by-case basis - there is no maximum amount per recipient. The Department of Education's ELCC Division will review submissions starting on May 24, 2023. Proposals submitted after May 23, 2023 will be considered. Priority will be given to underserved communities with limited or no existing licensed child care centres.

Proposals should include:

To allow for a thorough yet timely evaluation, proposals should be presented in a clear and concise manner. It is suggested that the following format and sequence be followed in order to provide consistency in proponent response and to ensure each proposal receives full consideration:

  • Proposal Cover Letter – Clearly state if you are applying for a new licensed child care centre, to renovate an existing child care centre to create additional licensed spaces, or if you are applying for one that has been closed for three years or longer.
  • Corporate Identity & Profile - The profile should cover if you are a independent,  non-profit society, hamlet/municipality, District Education Authority (DEA) or the Commission scolaire francophone du Nunavut  (CSFN), the organization’s legal name, address, and telephone number; date established and structure; and team and ownership details.
  • Supporting Documents
    • Prior approvals by regulatory, municipal, and other authoritative bodies may be included if applicable.
    • Documented demand for additional child care spaces: (e.g., waitlists at existing child care centres or letters from parents unable to access child care).
    • Letters of support from community organizations may also be included. 
  • Project Description and Scope – Describe the work required to complete the project.
  • Inclusion and Equity: Spaces that will support inclusion and equity (children with disabilities, or needing enhanced or individual supports, vulnerable children) will be prioritized and are encouraged to outline how this will be facilitated within their submission. 
  • Project Schedule & Critical Milestones – Provide a timeline for work to be completed.
  • Detailed Project Budget/Fees & Expenses (including quotes for work from vendors).

To apply or for more information, please email or call  867-975-4882.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Who can apply?
Child care centres, family home daycares, DEAs and CSFN administering, hamlets, or non-profits and non-governmental organizations with an interest in ELCC.

The proposal asks for quotes for the proposed work. How do I get an estimate?
There are several options for finding contractors or vendors who can provide estimates:

  • Conduct a search online. You can search for contractors or vendors online and look at their websites to see if they offer the services you need.
  • Reach out to industry in your community. Check with industry associations or trade organizations related to the work you need to be done.
  • Ask for referrals. Ask colleagues, or other organizations if they know of any contractors or vendors who offer the services you need. Referrals are a great way to find reliable and trustworthy contractors.

Once you have identified potential contractors or vendors, you can ask them to provide a written estimate that includes a breakdown of the costs associated with the proposed work. Written estimates from independent contractors are acceptable.

I would like to start a home daycare. How do I know what work is needed to make it a safe space?
To start a home daycare and ensure it is a safe space, you should adhere to the guidelines and regulations established by the Nunavut Child Day Care Act and its associated regulations.

You may not require any renovations to become a licensed family home daycare. Please contact the Early Childhood Officer for your region for more details.   

What are the types of projects you can fund?
The types of projects that can be funded through this program include any infrastructure-related expenses required to create licensed child care spaces for children ages 0-6. This may involve renovations or construction, and other costs associated with creating a safe and compliant child care environment. The goal is to support child care providers in meeting the licensing requirements and expanding child care services in underserved communities.

Are we expected to increase child care spaces within a year with this funding?
No, the department recognizes that one year is insufficient for most projects to achieve this funding objective. Instead, the available funding aims to support ongoing projects or help initiate the process of creating new licensed child care spaces and assist licensed child care centres closed for at least three years to reopen.

Is the funding long-term?
Projects may span multiple years; however, the department will disburse funding between April 1, 2023, and March 31, 2024. Applicants are welcome to apply for this funding again in the subsequent year.

How do successful centres receive their funding?
Once we have a signed contribution agreement we would issue a payment of 90% of the agreement within 20 business days.

How much funding is available?
There are several federal funding pots that contribute to a total of over $800,000 in funding available for distribution.

Can an organization apply for funding that does not intend to operate the licensed child care spaces directly?
Yes, if your organization is applying for funding but does not plan to operate the licensed child care spaces directly, you must provide information about the organization that will manage the child care centre. For instance, if a Hamlet intends to build a centre but wants it to be operated by a non-profit, the proposal should include details about the non-profit organization that will operate the centre once it is built. This information ensures that the operating organization aligns with the objectives and requirements of the funding program.

Can this be combined with other funding agreements?
Yes, this funding can be combined with other funding agreements. To learn more about additional funding opportunities, contact your regional Early Childhood Officer, and you may also wish to contact your Regional Inuit Association. Department of Education Early Childhood Officer Contacts:

Individuals and organizations currently in the process of creating new licensed child care spaces and/or opening a centre that has been closed for at least three years can also apply. 

What are the reporting requirements if funding is awarded?
Recipients of a contribution must submit year-end unaudited financial statements, including a schedule of revenues, expenses, and supporting documentation for all project-related expenses (e.g., invoices for services by contractors). These statements should be submitted within 90 days of the project's end or the Government of Nunavut's fiscal year and will be outlined within the Contribution Agreement.

How do I apply for funding to start or maintain a licensed child care centre in Nunavut?
To apply for funding to start or maintain a licensed child care centre in Nunavut, you should contact your Department of Education regional office to speak with an Early Childhood Officer (ECO). ECOs are also the staff responsible for inspecting centres, have delegated legal authorities, and administer applications for a variety of funding. They can provide information on available funding programs, such as operation and maintenance, health and safety, and start-up contributions, as well as application requirements and deadlines. They can help you access early learning and child care training and resources.

It’s also recommended that you engage your Regional Inuit Association, as they have additional funding and support resources for those starting a licensed facility.


Department of Education Grants And Contributions Policy