Staff Directory

You are here

Income Tax Returns for Income Assistance Recipients

11 February 2019

Public Service Announcement

Income Tax Returns for Income Assistance Recipients

If you receive Income Assistance, you must file your income tax return to ensure you receive the benefits entitled to you, such as the Canada Child Benefit (CCB), Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), Senior Citizens Supplementary Benefit (SCSB), and the Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Income Assistance benefits will be denied if you do not file a 2018 Income Tax Return, without a valid reason.

To determine initial and continued eligibility for Income Assistance benefits, you must:

1. File an income tax return by April 30, 2019.
2. Provide a copy of your 2018 Income Tax Return (Head of Household and Spouse) to the Income Assistance Worker at your next appointment.
3. Declare any income tax refunds received.
     - An income tax refund is considered unearned income.
     - For example, if you receive an income tax refund in March 2019, it will be included in your April assessment as unearned income.

Attend your scheduled monthly appointments, even if you received an income tax refund. If you miss your scheduled appointment, you may not be eligible for Income Assistance benefits.

Please contact your local Income Assistance Worker if you have any questions about filing your income tax return.


Media Contact:

Tracy Wood
Communications Specialist
Department of Family Services