Staff Directory

You are here

Paying property tax through payroll

Are you a Government of Nunavut (GN) employee? Do you own a home or other property, outside Iqaluit?

If you answered yes to these questions, you can now pay property taxes using payroll deductions.

The GN is offering its employees a convenient way to pay taxes on properties outside of Iqaluit.

With your consent, the Department of Finance can automatically deduct from your earnings to pay your taxes. You can pay what you owe all at once, or you can choose to spread your payments out over bi-weekly instalments.

You can also use payroll deductions to settle any property taxes you might owe from previous years. Late taxes can mean penalties and interest charges. Deducting money from your pay is a simple way to stay up-to-date.

To sign up, complete the Payroll Deduction Consent Form. Submit the completed form and send it by email to or fax it to 867-975-5845.

You should receive a 2014 tax levy by mail in early October. This levy shows what you owe in property taxes. This year, taxes are due on December 14, 2016. .

We need to receive your consent by November 4, 2016 to process your payments in time to meet this year’s deadline. We expect deductions to begin on November 18, 2016..

Important points:

  • Taxes are due December 14, 2016. It is your responsibility to pay your taxes on time, regardless of how you choose to make payments. If your payments are not large enough to pay for the total amount of tax owing before the due date, your arrears may still be subject to interest charges and you may still be placed on the published tax arrears list. 
  • Signing up for this service is voluntary. You can always choose to pay your taxes in other convenient ways.
  • This service is only available to GN employees.
  • This service is not available for properties in Iqaluit because the City of Iqaluit manages its own tax system. You will need to pay these taxes directly to the City of Iqaluit.
  • If you do not receive a tax notice by mid-October, please email us at, or call us toll-free at 1-800-316-3324.