Staff Directory

You are here

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

10 January 2019

Public Service Announcement

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

Did you know that whether you live in an unrestricted or restricted community, you need a liquor import permit to bring in more than three litres of spirits, nine litres of wine, or 26 litres of beer (72 x 355 millilitre containers) to Nunavut?

Import permits are available from your region’s liquor permit office:

Iqaluit Beer and Wine Store
Phone: 867-975-6869
Fax: 867-979-5836
Cambridge Bay – Department of Finance (Helen Maksagak Centre)
Phone: 867-983-4048
Rankin Inlet – Siniktarvik Building
Phone: 867-645-8486
Fax: 867-645-8487
Hamlet of Kugluktuk
Phone: 867-982-6509

Without an import permit, liquor stores in other provinces will not process your order. Import permits should be purchased in person, but if you need to order your permit by fax, you will need to include a valid photo ID. Accepted payment methods to purchase a permit are cash, cheque, credit card and debit card.

You can buy alcohol within Nunavut without an import permit through the Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission, by phone at 867-645-8475, by fax at 867-645-3327, or by email at


Media Contact:

Denise Grandmaison
Manager, Communications
Department of Finance