You are here

Third Party Health Insurance

In addition to Government of Nunavut insurance programs, you may be eligible for third party insurance programs. You may get third party insurance from an employer, or you can buy your own insurance coverage.

You must make claims through your third party insurance program before making a claim through any government insurance program like Non Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) or Extended Health Benefits (EHB).


Employer Insurance

Many employers offer insurance programs to their staff. Ask your employer if they offer insurance coverage. You may have to pay for insurance coverage through your employer.

Most employer insurance programs offer coverage for families. If you have insurance coverage through your employer, your family may be covered. If your spouse has insurance coverage through their employer, your family may also be covered.

You can learn more about your health insurance coverage by talking to your human resources representative.


Private Health Insurance

You may buy an insurance plan from a company other than your employer. Insurance companies offer health benefits to help cover medical costs that the Nunavut Health Care Plan does not cover.


Buying Third Party Insurance

If you want to buy third party insurance, you need to choose an insurance company that offers a program that meets your needs. You can usually apply for coverage through a company’s website.

Private health insurance programs are offered by the companies below. Click the links to visit the company website:


Non Insured Health Benefits (NIHB)

NIHB is funded by the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch of Health Canada.

In Nunavut, administration of the program is divided between the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch of Health Canada and the Health Insurance Programs Office in Rankin Inlet through an annual Contribution Agreement.

Recognized Inuit enrolled in a land claims organizations may be eligible for the NIHB Program.

Click here for more information about NIHB.