Staff Directory

You are here

Confirmed case of COVID-19 in Rankin Inlet

03 September 2021

News Release

Confirmed case of COVID-19 in Rankin Inlet

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut (September 3, 2021) – Dr. Rosann Seviour, Nunavut’s Acting Chief Public Health Officer, has confirmed a positive case of COVID-19 in Rankin Inlet.

“The individual returned to Rankin Inlet on August 29 from travel outside of the territory and was symptomatic prior to travel,” said Dr. Seviour. “The individual was confirmed COVID-19 positive by the lab in Rankin Inlet yesterday evening and has since been medevaced to a hospital in Southern Canada. All household contacts are isolating at home.”

Contact tracing is ongoing and the risk to the community is considered low at this time. This case is not linked to the positive wastewater signals reported last week in the community. Out of an abundance of caution, masks are now mandatory in all public spaces in Rankin Inlet. There will be no other changes to public health measures at this time.

“Rankin Inlet has a large percentage of its eligible population fully vaccinated, which will help protect the population from COVID-19. I encourage everyone who is eligible for the vaccine to get it. It will help protect people from severe illness and hospitalization,” said Minister of Health Lorne Kusugak.

Anyone who is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 is advised to isolate immediately and call the COVID-hotline at 1-888-975-8601 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST, or notify their community health centre right away. Please do not go to the health centre in person.

Vaccine continues to be available across the territory. Call your health centre to make an appointment or walk into Iqaluit Public Health every weekday for Moderna (ages 18+) and Wednesday for Pfizer (ages 12 to 17).

###

Media Contact:

Chris Puglia
Acting Manager of Communications
Department of Health
867-975-5949
cpuglia@gov.nu.ca