You are here
Amaaqtaarniq Education Program
The goal of the Amaaqtaarniq program is to remove barriers to post-secondary education for eligible Inuit employees and to help the Government of Nunavut (GN) to fill specialized positions with qualified Inuit employees.
The Amaaqtaarniq program sponsors long-term post-secondary education leave for GN employees who are on Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated’s Inuit Enrolment List and wish to qualify for a hard-to-fill position in the GN.
Approved Amaaqtaarniq participants will receive an allowance equivalent to 100 percent of their base salary for the duration of their Amaaqtaarniq agreement.
- Inuit employed in the GN on an indeterminate, term or casual basis may apply who:
- Have completed three years of continuous service with the GN,
- Have the necessary prerequisites to enter a post-secondary degree,
- Have positive performance evaluations or equivalents, such as positive reference letter from current or past supervisors, and
- Wish to pursue a degree program which is:
- Consistent with the GN’s Master Inuit Employment Plan (IEP) or Workforce Strategy, and
- Is in demand elsewhere in the GN, including public bodies.
- Education programs must lead to a degree or post-secondary accreditation for a job, profession or trade required by the GN to be eligible, and can include:
- online courses leading to college accreditation, undergraduate degrees and post-graduate degrees,
- in demand trades and apprenticeship certification,
- in-person attendance and distance learning, and
- full-time and part-time study.
The Amaaqtaarniq program supports long-term education leave to study at educational institutions in Nunavut and elsewhere in Canada.
The deadline to apply to the Amaaqtaarniq Education Program was February 26, 2021. Inquiries, not applications, can still be sent after the deadline.
Amaaqtaarniq Education Program Application Form
Amaaqtaarniq Applicant Checklist
Amaaqtaarniq Frequently Asked Questions
Amaaqtaarniq Education Program Guidelines
Amaaqtaarniq Education Program Policy
Career Achievement Record - Consent Form
Career Goals (Career Achievement Record)
Amaaqtaarniq Financial Information Worksheet
Amaaqtaarniq Financial Information Worksheet Local
Confirm Employment and Performance review
Department of Human Resources