The Plain Language Workshop is a two half-day course which survey’s the principles of plain language. It includes methods for streamlining sentences, using effective verb constructions and selecting the appropriate wording in modern workplace documents.
The participants will:
- Gain an awareness of plain language and its role in writing at the GN
- Practice the principles of plain language in exercises, case studies, and their own documents
- Use plain language in the editing of their own documents and those of others
The course will cover:
- The culture of plain language: toward a corporate “voice” of clarity
- Avoidance of jargon and other instances of wordy and outmoded language
- Streamlined sentences and punctuation rules
- Verb constructions that make writing clear and readable
- Effective vs. ineffective word choice
Date and Time: February 20-21, 2023
|Kitikmeot (MST)||Kivalliq (CST)||Qikiqtaaluk (EST)|
|Start Time||12 p.m.||1 p.m.||2 p.m.|
|End Time||3:15 pm||4:15 pm||5:15 p.m.|
All GN employees are welcome to register for this course, but it will be offered based on Central Standard Time (CST) from 1:00pm-4:15pm. Participants enrolled are expected to complete this course based on this time zone.