This is a Position of Trust and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to Nunavut Inuit only. Janitors will work approximately 10 hours per week and positions are available in Clyde River, Igloolik, Hall Beach, Pond Inlet, Grise Fiord, Kimmirut and Pangnirtung. Applicants must indicate the community of interest.
The Janitor is responsible for cleaning, monitoring the facility, safety and security, and completing minor labour duties at the Community Learning Centre. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining a safe and clean environment, in which the daily functions of the community learning centre are carried out. The incumbent follows a rigorous routine of cleaning functions in compliance with the College’s policies and procedures, in addition to cleaning and custodial work assigned on a day-to-day basis by the supervisor. The incumbent must ensure that all tasks are completed without disruption to instructors and students.
The ideal candidate will have the completion of Grade 10, a high school diploma is preferred.
Experience working as a custodian or janitor and experience working with hazardous materials and safety regulations is required.
Some training or experience with WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System), which regulates the handling of hazardous material, is an asset. The ability to speak Inuktut is considered a definite asset to interact with staff and students. Speaking and reading English is desirable to read product labels and material safety data sheets.
A combination of related education and work experience may be considered.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.