You are here
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
Resolute Bay, NU – Ref. No. QEC-19-002
This permanent, part-time role (24 hours per week) is a great opportunity for an experienced individual with manual skills as well as the ability to resolve issues in response to customer complaints and inquiries.
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, but comfortable working with minimal supervision, you will assist the Plant Superintendent in maintaining safe and continuous power generation and distribution, and in integrating the production and maintenance requirements of mechanical and electrical equipment. As an Assistant Operator, you will be expected to operate and monitor the diesel powerhouse and associated systems to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective electrical service to Qulliq Energy customers in the community, and to assume an acting role as Plant Superintendent when required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Operating the plant to ensure the most efficient use of equipment;
- Performing minor preventive maintenance or emergency repairs, as required;
- Monitoring fuel transfers to ensure safe, expedient delivery according to IAW fuel transfer procedures;
- Identifying complex issues and referring them to the Plant Superintendent and/or Operations Supervisor;
- Assisting with line and metering equipment inspections, repairs and verification;
- Gathering meter data and issuing documentation to the Area Accounts department;
- Performing duties in compliance with Occupational Health & Safety and WHMIS legislation;
- Managing plant inventories, including shipping, receiving and monitoring;
- Re-ordering routine material for plant operations, maintenance and staff;
- Assisting Area Maintenance or Contract Maintenance crews in completing projects by providing scheduling, monitoring and hands-on assistance;
- Ensuring that all safety and emergency equipment is maintained to approved standards;
- Providing information to the Plant Superintendent and/or Operations Supervisor for the preparation and submission of budgets, variances and other performance measurements;
- Completing month-end, housekeeping, outage and other reports;
- Accepting payments, transmitting cash and initiating collection procedures; and
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with community and local business representatives.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- A high school education (minimum Grade 10);
- Experience in power production and distribution;
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license;
- Manual skills to complete basic repairs;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Basic bookkeeping and administrative skills;
- Knowledge of WHMIS and Safety Data Sheet (SDS); and
- Proficiency with computer applications, i.e., MS Office, Adobe, and the internet.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
- A related journeyperson certificate in the electrical/mechanical trades or equivalent;
- Knowledge of Nunavut, including the land, language and culture; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary of $44,765 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $17,086 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is not available.
This competition is restricted to Nunavut Inuit applicants only.
Note: Applicants for this competition may be considered for future employment with QEC.
Apply in writing, by January 25, 2019, to: email@example.com
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.