Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC - 20-039 Communications Officer
The Communications Officer is responsible for supporting the Manager, Corporate Communications in the execution of internal and external corporate communications, including but not limited to planning initiatives, drafting materials and reporting on activities. The position ensures that all communications are accessible and culturally relevant and is also responsible for assisting with emergency communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and distribute media materials such as news releases and public service announcements.
- Assist with drafting the annual report.
- Draft and edit Minister’s statements, speeches, and executive correspondence.
- Assist with developing and maintaining QEC’s online presence and internal intranet.
- Coordinate corporate wide translations with the government’s Language Bureau and outside contractors.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports on language activities for the Department of Culture & Heritage.
- Prepare relevant and informative presentations for senior management and executive office.
- Liaise with contractors and creative agencies to develop advertisements, program materials, and promotional campaigns in line with corporate branding.
- Build and foster positive community relations by representing QEC at relevant conferences, events, and trade shows.
- Assist with coordinating and promoting QEC’s scholarship, sponsorship and corporate donations.
- Organize and coordinate community, corporate and funding events.
- Organize communications administrative activities.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Two-year post-secondary diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, or journalism.
- Two years of experience in editing and writing corporate communications such as communication plans, media messaging, online content, and marketing materials.
- Experience in the public sector is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $81,568.50 to $93,892.50, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit. If a Nunavut Inuit is not the successful candidate, the position will be offered as a three (3) year term.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by November 6, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.