This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
As per HRM Directive 518, this employment opportunity is restricted to Nunavut Inuit in Iqaluit only.
Reporting to the Principal, the Custodian is responsible for maintaining a safe, secure, comfortable and sanitary environment in the school.
The incumbent takes the lead in ensuring the building is ready for occupancy each day by unlocking doors, checking the temperature, water and fuel supplies and reporting any shortages. The custodian will also ensure that a clean and safe environment is maintained by preforming daily duties such as sweeping/vacuuming, cleaning of surface areas, removal of garbage, scrubbing washroom/shower areas and other duties assigned by the principal. The incumbent will assist with supply and basic maintenance as well as specialized summer cleaning.
Knowledge of cleaning techniques and using specific cleaners for various surfaces is necessary for this position. The incumbent must also be able to use cleaning equipment such as industrial vacuum cleaners and buffers.
The official languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, English and French. Fluency in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages would be considered an asset. Knowledge of Inuit communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit would also be considered an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
An eligibility list may be created to staff future vacancies
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to GNHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.