You are here
Electrical Distribution Technologist (Re-advertisement)
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-006 Electrical Distribution Technologist (Re-advertisement)
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Electrical Distribution this position is responsible for providing technical and electrical system design services to the Corporation’s engineering staff, line maintenance crews and contractors. This position supports the Corporations distribution projects including; rebuilds and new builds, maintenance programs, new service connections and system improvement projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Liaises with customers, QEC line personnel, and contractors to initiate and implement distribution system upgrades and/or extensions.
- Writes technical specifications and prepares design packages for the procurement of various pieces of electrical equipment such as poles, line materials, cables, insulators, transformers, etc.
- Provides detailed design and project costing for distribution system upgrades and feeder extensions.
- Coordinates with line crews and contractors and provides technical support for capital projects, recoverable projects, and Time Materials and Invoice’s (TMI’s).
- Works with the engineers to review designs and equipment specifications to ensure projects meet all regulatory and compliance standards.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Two-year diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology from an accredited institution.
- Three years of experience with design and project costing for medium voltage and utility power distribution systems.
- Experience in creating drawings, schematics and diagrams for electrical distribution, metering and feeder protection systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and AutoCAD.
- Registration as a Certified Electrical Technologist (CET) with a professional engineering body.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education, experience and professional credentials may be considered.
We offer a competitive salary range of $85,488 to $99,157, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This position will be open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.