This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Reporting to the Facility Manager, the incumbent performs preventative maintenance inspections and repairs to ensure the performance of facility systems, subsystems and components in all facilities within the designated area. As a member of a team of technical experts, the incumbent works to maximize the quality of facilities and the built environment by maintaining the supporting systems and minimizing service interruptions with consideration for life safety, work priority, resource limitations and total life cycle cost. Through the provision of preventive maintenance services, the incumbent provides the day-to-day checks, the legislative and code-required monitoring, testing, servicing and inspection of facility systems, sub-systems and components and the scheduled inspection, servicing and intended and reach their planned service life. Through the provision of repair services, the incumbent fixes or replaces broken, worn or faulty components as required to address issues that are identified through the course of regular preventive maintenance inspections.
Through the course of planning and executing the work, the incumbent emphasizes safety, team effectiveness, client satisfaction and quality.
The incumbent impacts the efficiency of the Government of Nunavut by ensuring the integrity of the facilities and built environment that directly supports the services provided by other departments as we as all Nunavummiut within the designated area.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Inspects facility systems, subsystems and components to ensure they are performing as intended and reach their planned service life;
- Maintains facility systems, sub-systems and components to ensure they are performing as intended and reach their planned service life;
- Checks work on facility systems, sub-systems and components performed under contract to ensure compliance with plans and specifications and governing codes;
- Completes work records for all work;
- Ensures that the proper tools, equipment and material are on hand or readily available at all times;
- Ensures that proper work and safety procedures are followed at all times;
- Performs other duties such as; Overseeing and coordinating the work of others; Overseeing and training apprentices and casual staff; Supporting other trades personnel as and when required; Travelling to remote communities to perform emergency inspections or repairs; Completing Facility Condition Assessments;
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job are obtained through Certification as a Red Seal Journeyman Electrician, experience with a variety of building types and sizes or municipal works, Class 5 Nunavut Driver’s License along with 5 years in the trade as a member.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut, English and French.
Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.