Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-20-019 Heavy Equipment Technician
Based out of Cambridge Bay, Nunavut and reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Heavy Equipment Technician is responsible for troubleshooting, maintaining, and overhauling the Corporation’s diesel generators and associated support equipment including engines, pumps, compressors, radiators, heat exchangers, lube oil systems, fuel oil systems, cooling systems, and other related subsystems. This position works in close collaboration with other trade positions and travels frequently to remote communities within the region to ensure optimal operation of generation systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and overhauls diesel generators of various size, including all related auxiliary equipment and subsystems.
- Travels to remote communities to perform regular inspections, conduct preventative maintenance, install equipment, and perform general repairs to power generation equipment.
- Works in collaboration with the Engineering department to review design and equipment specifications to ensure projects meet all regulatory and QEC compliance standards.
- Maintains maintenance documentation and coordinates with Engineering, operators, maintenance staff, and purchasing in order to perform maintenance and repairs.
- Provides on-site solutions or modifications to bring systems back online as quickly as possible while mitigating risk to equipment.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment at all times and acts in a pro-active manner to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of operations and equipment.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Interprovincial Red Seal certification as a Heavy Equipment Technician.
- Two years’ (2) post-qualification experience in a similar working environment.
- Class 5 driver’s license, including the ability to meet insurance requirements.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $93,017 to $107,889, a northern living allowance of $19,716 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by May 29, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.