Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Junior Operator – Temporary
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, but comfortable working with minimal supervision, you will carry out a wide variety of material-handling, cleaning and routine general labour activities, while ensuring adherence to QEC’s Health and Safety codes and practices. As a Junior Operator, you may also assist Plant Operators in the daily routine of plant operations, maintenance and upkeep, and record-keeping.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performing general maintenance of buildings and plant equipment, including oil and filter changes, sample test, and other routine scheduled maintenance.
- Cleaning plant and surrounding grounds.
- Moving, sorting and piling materials and products, either manually or using powered equipment.
- Assisting Operations and Maintenance staff in operating, repairing and maintaining plant equipment.
- Performing general duties such as basic construction, painting and other manual tasks.
- Pumping out berms.
- Performing digging for various projects.
- Sanding and painting plant equipment.
- Requesting emergency and other repairs and/or replacement.
- Coordinating, with Plant Operators, the preparation of waste material for the annual sealift.
- Performing housekeeping duties to ensure a clean, secure and safe work environment.
- Maintaining the Plant Yard and Fuel Berm to a high level of operational readiness and cleanliness.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Grade 12 education, preferably with vocational education related to power generation or distribution.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and a clear drivers abstract.
- Experience in the production and distribution of power.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $66,539 to $74,422.40, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.