You are here
Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel powered generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities. There is no grid connecting the 25 communities.
QEC-18-070 Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Director of Engineering, this position will lead the mechanical aspects of the Engineering department including managing capital projects, operational support, mechanical system analysis and design work. This position is also responsible for overseeing project management, budgets, and the development and implementation of mechanical standards and engineering controls. The manager’s deliverables are focused on the construction and sustainment of mechanical systems in each of the territory’s 25 diesel power plants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing mechanical systems of diesel power generation stations rated up to 20 MW including, gensets, cooling/heating systems, fuel systems, etc.
- Ensuring that all engineering projects, initiatives and processes comply with corporate policies and objectives
- Overseeing the fabrication, operation, application, installation and/or repair of mechanical equipment
- Providing technical support and mechanical design reviews for Engineering and Operations projects.
- Writing technical specifications for mechanical equipment (gensets, heat exchange systems, radiators, etc.) for sourcing by the Procurement division
- Coordinating with Supply Chain Management to ensure timely submission of RFPs/RFTs/RFIs
- Developing, coaching and managing a results-oriented team to meet the service needs of QEC and its customers, including mentoring of Inuit employees to ensure their professional growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience managing capital projects, including at least 4 years in the supervision and development of staff.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer and eligibility for NAPEG registration.
- Experience with electrical diesel power generation systems ranging between 500 kW and 20 MW.
- Project Management training and/or certification.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education, experience and professional credentials may be considered.
We offer a competitive salary range of $137,611 to $155,786, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, benefits package and subsidized staff housing. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be provided to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply email email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
This position will be open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.