Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Mechanical Engineer - Temporary
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Mechanical Engineering, this position provides mechanical system design services throughout the project cycle from conceptual design to commissioning. The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the selection of materials during the design phase, defining the design criteria and specifications, and stamping design drawings and documents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs mechanical systems for utility engineering projects while clearly defining scopes of work, completing cost estimates, performing engineering calculations, and developing detailed design drawings (AutoCAD).
- Prepares assessments and feasibility studies for potential upgrade and rehabilitation projects or construction of new facilities.
- Prepares tender packages that include specifications, documents, drawings, along with cost estimates for mechanical engineering related projects.
- Conducts on-site inspections in remote communities during each project’s construction and commissioning phase, and provides technical support and mechanical design review for several ongoing engineering projects.
- Follows the compliance of all Canadian technical standards including but not limited to the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), National Building Code (NBC) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) standards.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Five (5) years of mechanical engineering experience in diesel power generation experience in full scope project management from inception to commissioning.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng) with eligibility for registration with NAPEG.
- Experience with HVAC, heat transfer, Cogeneration or Combined Heat and Power (CHP) generation.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $104,500 to $123,864, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.