Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC Operator-in-Training (Temporary) Iqaluit
This competition is restricted to Nunavut Inuit applicants
Working on a scheduled shift rotation, the Operator-in-Training is a developmental position training under the direct supervision of an experienced Plant Operator. The position is responsible for performing a variety of tasks such as general maintenance, material handling, facility organization, and various general labor activities.
At the conclusion of the training period, the incumbent will become internally certified to operate the Iqaluit power generation facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists Plant Operators in performing general maintenance of plant equipment, facility, and grounds.
- Assists with scheduled maintenance such as oil and filter changes and sample tests.
- Performs plant checks to identify, document, and alert maintenance crews to possible hazards.
- Prepares and organizes waste material for transport via sealift.
- Performs generalized labour tasks including basic construction, painting, inventory management, and maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
Required Qualifications Include:
- High School Diploma.
- Power engineering (fourth class) is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $66,539.20 to $74,422.40, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by, July 16, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.