Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC 21-025 Power System Electrician
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Power System Electrician is responsible for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and overhauling electrical systems and equipment including engines, pumps, compressors, radiators, heat exchangers, lube oil systems, fuel oil systems, cooling systems, and other related subsystems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs electrical generation systems, subsystems, and equipment to ensure maximum productivity and quality.
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs emergency electrical systems, subsystems, and equipment and replaces as required.
- Travels to remote communities to perform regular inspections, conduct preventative maintenance, install equipment, and perform general repairs to electrical generation systems.
- Works in collaboration with the Engineering department to review design and equipment specifications to ensure projects meet all regulatory and QEC compliance standards.
- Works in collaboration with related trades and staff to ensure on-time and on-budget completion of capital and O&M projects.
- Maintains maintenance documentation and coordinates with Engineering, operators, maintenance staff, when amending documentation.
- Provides on-site solutions or modifications to bring systems back online as quickly as possible during outage situations while mitigating risk to equipment.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment at all times and acts in a pro-active manner to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of operations and equipment.
- Coordinates with Stores to ensure appropriate electrical inventory and materials are ordered in advance of the annual sealift season.
- Ensures work is conducted in accordance with all corporate policies and procedures; territorial, provincial, and national codes; and in compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Communicates with local and territorial government to advise on power interruptions resulting in direct impact to communities, as required.
Required Qualifications Include:
Intra-provincial certification as a Power Systems Electrician, or equivalent.
- Inter-provincial certification as a Power System Electrician is an asset.
- Experience working in a diesel power plant is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $93,017 to $107,889 a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
This is a twelve-month contract with possibility of an extension.
To apply send your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by July 2, 2021.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.