Energize Your Career in the Arctic!
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted with providing safe and reliable power to customers across Nunavut. QEC is the sole energy provider in the territory and operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems across the territory.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. It is known for its breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities. Join our team and spend your time exploring a vast winter wonderland by snowmobile, traversing ancient waterways by kayak, hiking an expansive tundra overflowing with wildlife, or experiencing a rich culture known for its distinct artwork, music, and cuisine. Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe and reliable power across Nunavut.
Power systems Electrician (Casual)
Cambridge Bay, Nunavut
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Power System Electrician is responsible for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and overhauling electrical systems and equipment including engines, pumps, compressors, radiators, heat exchangers, lube oil systems, fuel oil systems, cooling systems, and other related subsystems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs electrical generation systems, subsystems, and equipment to ensure maximum productivity and quality.
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs emergency electrical systems, subsystems, and equipment and replaces as required.
- Travels to remote communities to perform regular inspections, conduct preventative maintenance, install equipment, and perform general repairs to electrical generation systems.
- Works in collaboration with the Engineering department to review design and equipment specifications to ensure projects meet all regulatory and QEC compliance standards.
- Works in collaboration with related trades and staff to ensure on-time and on-budget completion of capital and O&M projects.
- Maintains maintenance documentation and coordinates with Engineering, operators, maintenance staff, when amending documentation.
- Liaises with external agencies, including the Office of the Auditor General, financial institutions, and stakeholders.
- Provides on-site solutions or modifications to bring systems back online as quickly as possible during outage situations while mitigating risk to equipment.
- Always maintains a clean and safe work environment and acts in a pro-active manner to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of operations and equipment.
- Coordinates with Stores to ensure appropriate electrical inventory and materials are ordered in advance of the annual sealift season.
- Ensures work is conducted in accordance with all corporate policies and procedures; territorial, provincial, and national codes; and in compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Communicates with local and territorial government to advise on power interruptions resulting in direct impact to communities, as required.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Intra-provincial certification as a Power Systems Electrician, or equivalent
- Red Seal certification is an asset.
- Experience in diesel power generation is an asset.
We offer a competitive salary range of $97,745.64 to $113,373.57 and a northern living allowance of $20,891.00 per annum. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including a defined-benefit pension program. In addition, subsidized staff housing is available for this position. This position is not included in the Nunavut Employee’s Union.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.