Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
Powerline Technician (Casual) QEC-23-022
Reporting to the Regional Distribution Supervisor, the Powerline Technician is responsible for installing, maintaining and repairing overhead and underground power lines and cables. The position is also responsible for connecting new services, installing temporary services, and inspecting and maintaining tools, equipment, and vehicles used to carry out line work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs powerline systems, subsystems, and equipment to ensure maximum productivity and quality.
- Inspects, troubleshoots, and repairs emergency powerline systems, subsystems, and equipment and replaces as required.
- Travels to remote communities to perform regular inspections, conduct preventative maintenance, install equipment, and perform general repairs to powerlines and systems.
- Maintains maintenance documentation and coordinates with Engineering, operators, maintenance staff, when amending documentation.
- Ensures all materials used during construction and repairs are logged and reported to the Line Supervisor.
- Provides on-site solutions or modifications to bring systems back online as quickly as possible during outage situations while mitigating risk to equipment.
- Always maintains clean and safe work environment at all times and acts in a pro-active manner to make timely recommendations for continuous improvement of operations and equipment.
- Ensures work is conducted in accordance with all corporate policies and procedures; territorial, provincial, and national codes; and in compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulations.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Intra-provincial certification as a Powerline Technician.
- Class 3 Driver’s license with an airbrake endorsement and the ability to meet vehicle insurance requirements of QEC.
- Inter-provincial certification as a Powerline Technician.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $104,543.24 to $122,116.48 and a northern living allowance, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.