You are here
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team. Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
IQALUIT, NU – Ref. No. QEC-18-066
If you are a qualified Powerline Technician who enjoys working both independently and collaboratively, and can effectively manage competing priorities and emergency situations, and deliver projects on time and on budget, we should talk.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, you will install, maintain and repair power lines, locate and connect new services and participate in meter reads, ensuring consistent adherence to safety, electrical and other industry codes and standards, as well as corporate policies and procedures. As a Powerline Technician, you will work typically with minimal day-to-day supervision and will be called upon to lead, and participate in, safety talks and job site tailboards. While this is a full-time placement in your assigned community, you must be able to travel in small aircraft, as required, and available for on-call work after normal work hours or weekends.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Working on capital projects, following design specifications prepared by Engineering and working with other trades, as needed, to complete projects on time and on budget;
- In collaboration with Engineering, reviewing and resolving line and local power distribution issues;
- Constructing power lines, including primary and secondary extensions, transformers, street lights, and meters;
- Troubleshooting and repairing power outages from customer to primary and secondary;
- Connecting and disconnecting power, per Billing Department instructions;
- Performing ongoing maintenance, as required or instructed by the Supervisor;
- Making recommendations for power line replacement or relocation;
- Keeping Plant Superintendents and Operators apprised of activities and requesting their assistance, as needed; and
- Preparing or updating documentation related to power grid and maintenance logs.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Interprovincial Red Seal certification as a Powerline Technician.
- At least two (2) years of post-qualification experience with high voltage, bulk power or distribution/transmission;
- A valid Class 3 driver’s licence with an air brake endorsement, and ability to meet vehicle insurance requirements of QEC;
- Strong written and oral communication, judgment and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work independently within guidelines and company procedures;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to plan and allocate resources effectively and balance competing priorities; and
- Knowledge of diesel-generated power or control systems.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the language, land and culture; and
- Ability to speak Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
We offer a competitive salary ranging from $96,574 to $112,798 per annum and a comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance of $15,016 per annum. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union. Subsidized staff housing is available.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
Apply in writing, by January 4, 2018, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.