Energize your career in the Arctic!
Find your next exciting adventure in the Canadian Arctic! Join our team of highly motivated and experienced industry professionals as we provide safe, reliable, and affordable power across Nunavut.
Working in Nunavut
Nunavut is Canada’s newest and largest territory and has the fastest growing economy in the country. With breathtaking landscapes and amazing adventure opportunities, you will find excitement not only in your career, but in your free time as well. If the thought of dog sledding, snowmobiling, kayaking, ice fishing, or exploring a rich culture filled with distinct artwork and music sounds enticing, Nunavut is the place for you.
Qulliq Energy Corporation
Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is entrusted to provide safe, reliable power to all customers in Nunavut. Owned by the Government of Nunavut and operated as an arms-length territorial corporation, QEC is the sole provider of electricity and district heating in Nunavut. In comparison to other utilities in Canada, QEC faces unique challenges as it operates 25 stand-alone diesel power generation facilities and distribution systems located in each of the territory’s communities.
QEC-19-069 Project Accountant
Based out of Baker Lake, Nunavut and reporting to the Controller, the Project Accountant is responsible for accounting and finance needs at a project level. The position is accountable for the financial setup of projects, maintaining timely, accurate and consistent project cost information in the accounting system, project billing and budget forecast coordination for Project Managers, and project reporting and analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages set-up and close out of project accounts.
- Ensures accurate tracking, analysis and forecasting of ongoing projects.
- Creates financial and statistical processes and reports.
- Processes invoices for completed projects, including reconciliation and billing, ensuring expenditures are accurately coded.
- Writes off uncollectable receivables as directed.
- Submits required documents to the bank for capital funding.
- Follows up with clients on collections of recoverable-related accounts receivable.
- Creates Vendor accounts as required in Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains (GP) system.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting or Finance from an accredited university.
- Five (5) years experience working in a project based accounting role.
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamic GP financial system.
- Experience with public sector accounting is an asset.
- Knowledge of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) codes for recording fixed assets is an asset.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies consisting of a combination of related education and experience may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $93,268 to $108,946, a northern living allowance of $24,381 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
To apply send your application by email to email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0
Apply in writing, by January 31, 2020.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.