This is a Position of Trust and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Under the direction of the Supervisor Interdisciplinary Practice or designate, the Psychiatric Nurse (Nurse) may work as the only professional registered practitioner in the community to deliver specialized services to individuals with mental illness and/or problems, concurrent disorders, addictions, and suicide ideations/attempts. The Nurse provides a broad scope of professional mental health clinical treatment to individuals of all ages and families at the community level.
The incumbent ensures all related duties and responsibilities are carried out in a confidential, non-judgmental, compassionate manner. The Nurse would be responsible for care plan development, case management, conferencing, initial and ongoing assessments, medication administration and monitoring and crisis intervention. In addition, this position is responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the frontline local Mental Health Service Team including support, direction, and guidance.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job are usually obtained through an undergraduate degree in Nursing with experience in mental health, or an undergraduate degree in Psychiatric Nursing and a minimum of 3 years of experience as a psychiatric nurse. Candidates must be eligible to register with a professional government body in good standing and adhering to the legal and ethical standards. A valid driver’s license is required.
Certification in mental health is an asset. Five (5) years of psychiatric nursing is an asset. The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut (Inuinnaqtun), English and French. The ability to communicate in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages is an asset. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land, and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
For full-time, permanent nurses, recruitment bonuses include: $5,000.00 on start date, $5,000.00 at 18 months of service and $10,000.00 at 30 months of service. Additional premiums include $9,000.00 Annual Frontline Allowance and a $375.00 Monthly Retention Bonus totaling to $4,500.00 per year.
An Eligibility List may be created for all future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.