This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
The Public Health Nurse (PHN) provides a full continuum of public health services to individuals in the community in accordance with the public health program standards set by the Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMOH). The position exists to protect, restore, and promote health and reduce the incidence of disease and disability through health promotion, health protection and disease/injury prevention activities.
The PHN focuses primarily on maternal/child health, school health, communicable disease and immunization programs in order to improve the health of the population and assist the territory in meeting its public health goals.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job are usually obtained through a bachelor’s degree in nursing, or a Diploma in Nursing with a Certificate in Public Health with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in public health nursing. Candidates must be eligible to register with the Registered Nurses Association of Northwest Territories and Nunavut. The candidate must also have a valid driver’s license and current CPR level certification.
Candidates that have graduated from Nunavut Arctic College Nursing program within the previous 6 months and have been accepted into the Graduate Nursing Residency Program will be considered for positions that have been identified as part of the program. skills and abilities may be considered.
Experience working in remote and isolated communities, PHAC online courses, Canadian Nurses Association and Canadian Health Nurses of Canada certification are considered assets for this position.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut (Inuinnaqtun), English and French. The ability to communicate in more than one of Nunavut’s official language is an asset. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
For full-time, permanent nurses, recruitment bonuses include: $5,000.00 on start date, $5,000.00 at 18 months of service and $10,000.00 at 30 months of service. Additional premiums include $9,000.00 Annual Frontline Allowance and a $375.00 Monthly Retention Bonus totaling to $4,500.00 per year.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.