This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
As per HRM Directive 518, this employment opportunity is restricted to Nunavut Inuit in Iqaluit only.
This position is responsible for performing generic office duties such as maintaining all records for the school and staff; acts as a receptionist at the front desk area; meetings visitors to the school; filing record keeping and other as required. On occasion, the incumbent may be called upon to provide interpreting services at parent/teacher meetings if necessary.
Reporting to the Principal, the School Secretary will also act as a liaison between the public and the school, as well as co-ordinate appropriate documents to the regional education office, Qikiqtani School Operations.
The successful candidate should have as a minimum a Grade 10 education accompanied by 2 years of related work experience. The incumbent must be able to communicate effectively (written, typing and verbal) in English and Inuktitut. Completion of an Office Procedures course would be considered an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to GNHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.