This is a Position of Trust and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants..
Reporting to the Manager, Finance and Administration, the Senior Finance Officer provides accounting services such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, and revenue operations. These services are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), all applicable legislation, policy, procedures, and collective agreements. The Officer will ensure effective accounting controls are in place and implemented correctly, and those financial transactions, payment processes, revenues, general ledger maintenance, account reconciliations, and reports are conducted in a timely manner.
This position works closely with the Manager on budget forecasting, monitoring and control. You will participate in the preparation and analysis of expenditure reports and determining trends in budget forecasting. You will provide senior advice on the maintenance and quality of information in Free Balance financial and other systems, and provide expertise to Program Managers on budget status, funds, contracts, payroll and other issues. Initiating and establishing effective working relationships with the Department and other government departments will be important to this position.
The successful candidate will have a Diploma in Business Administration or a related field. In addition, at least three (3) years’ relevant experience in accounting, auditing, or similar financial area, in a computerized environment is required. Experience in conducting background research and analysis, developing financial reports and summaries, as well as providing advisory services to clients is also required.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, English and French. Fluency in more than one of Nunavut’s official languages would be considered an asset. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to GNHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.