This is a Highly Sensitive Position, and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check is required.
As per HRM Directive 518, this employment opportunity is restricted to Nunavut Inuit only in Rankin Inlet.
Under the direction of the Residence Manager, the Security Officer is responsible for the safety and security of student residents and College staff at the Kivalliq Campus. In addition to residences, the incumbent is responsible for the security of the College Buildings.
The position ensures all students and College staff that work and live at the Kivalliq Campus in Single Residence and the [AM1] Family Residence Units are safe and secure by ensuring all rules and regulations are adhered to. There are 50-68 students and guests staying at the Kivalliq Hall Single Residence (September to June) and up to 12 families staying at the Family Residence Units in Rankin Inlet.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of common safety practices; Knowledge of securing public property and/or assets; Conflict resolution skills; Interpersonal communication skills; Ability to read and clearly write reports in the logbook; Ability to write clear and understandable incident reports; Ability to read and understand all fire, safety, residence and security policies; Ability to diffuse and deal with difficult , stressful and possible violent situations; and must be able to work 8-12 hour rotating shifts.
The ideal candidate is expected to have a minimum of Grade 12 and one 1-year experience in security or facility management; One-year experience effectively supervising and managing staff or leading a team; Class 4 driver’s license; Applicants who only possess a Class 5 driver’s license must have earn their Class 4 within 6 months of hire.
Certified in First Aid/CPR, ASIST training, ability to communicate in Inuktitut would be considered an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
An eligibility list of successful candidates may be used to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.