This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Reporting to the Public Health Nursing Consultant, the Sexual Health Program Coordinator works within the Health Protection unit to protect public health and safety and to help prevent and control the spread of communicable infections. This is done by providing health education; and public health nursing care information related to testing, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections to Public Health Nurses, CHR’s and other healthcare professionals. The incumbent will be the program lead, and provide direction and leadership throughout Nunavut regarding health protection specifically related to sexual health.
The Sexual Health Program Coordinator takes the lead in overseeing the development, completion and implementation of the sexual health framework by providing leadership for policy development that promotes holistic sexual health and will also develop appropriate work plan based on departmental strategic priorities. The incumbent will develop sexual health education materials for community educators. The incumbent will mentor community health representatives and other community health educators in the development and use of sexual health education resources.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this job are usually obtained through a recognized undergraduate degree in health and social services or related. Two (2) years of related work experience in policy development and program planning in public health is required. An undergraduate degree or diploma in Nursing is an asset. Work experience in sexual health education is an asset.
The Official Languages of Nunavut are Inuktitut (Inuinnaqtun), English and French.
Fluency in more than one of Nunavut’s official language is an asset. Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to GNHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Applicants may submit their resume in the Official Language of their choice.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.