This is a Highly Sensitive Position and a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, along with a clear Vulnerable Sector Check is required.
This employment opportunity is open to all applicants.
Reporting to the Water, Wastewater Systems Manager, the Wastewater Systems Operator maintains proper sewer flows, temperature and pressures at the Rankin Inlet Sewage Plant, Johnston Cove Lift Station, and Sewer Pipelines. Tests and monitors emergency power to lift stations and wastewater plant. This position has primary responsibilities for the Wastewater Collection System during regular and off duty hours.
The Wastewater System Operator has the primary responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the Hamlet of Rankin Inlet’s wastewater collection and treatment infrastructure while ensuring environmental compliance of the wastewater effluent. Any major wastewater infrastructure breaks in hamlet system need to be repaired immediately to prevent sewer mains from freezing and possible damage to surrounding buildings. Failure to monitor the system and complete repairs in a timely basis could cause a serious health risk or disruption of services to the community of Rankin Inlet.
Incumbent must be a self-starter who can set priorities and foresee implications for delays to completing repairs; must demonstrate mechanical aptitude and ability; good oral and writing skills with proficiency in math and science; ability to diagnose and troubleshoot problems; ability to follow instructions and work within GN guidelines; possession of a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and within 1 year, successfully obtain a Class 3 license with air brake endorsement; willingness to work under adverse conditions; successful candidate must achieve current vaccinations in Hepatitis A & B, and tetanus within the first three months of employment.
To be invited for an interview, the incumbent must hold a current certification for Wastewater Collections II or Wastewater Treatment Level II OR…Journeyman Plumber with current Wastewater Collections I OR…Wastewater Treatment Level I or Journeyman Plumber with a willingness to achieve either Wastewater discipline level within 12 months of being awarded the job.
Experience in working in rural, remote or northern communities is an asset.
Fluency in Inuktitut/Inuinnaqtun is an asset.
Knowledge of Inuit language, communities, culture, land and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit is an asset.
An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please email your cover letter and resume to KivalliqHR@gov.nu.ca. Please include the REFERENCE # in the subject line of your email.
- The Government of Nunavut is committed to creating a more representative workforce so it can better understand and serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit.
- Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Nunavut Priority Hiring Policy.
- Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal record check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
- Eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
- Job descriptions may be obtained by fax, email or on the website.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.